How can you tell if you have a fake or counterfeit polymer banknote? You can do this simple trick. Crush the banknote with your palm like squeezing it into a ball and then let it go immediately. The note should spring back immediately. If not, then you may have a fake note in your hand.
. . . a complete collection of all Australian polymer notes (single note) issued since 1988, including all commemorative/numimatic notes, joint issues and special serial numbered issues. The only set that I do not have, at the moment, is the 1998 $10 Portraits AA98/AB98 (with or without frame). The $10 Portrait set was a failure at that time and the notes were later withdrew as it was not popular among collectors. The price was not right then for me and that was why I didn't buy them. It was NPA intention then to release all portrait sets on a yearly basis starting with the $10 note and collectors were also given the opportunity to get them all with matching serial numbers too. Unfortunately this was not the case.
Did you know .... that the Australia polymer notes series are designed in such a way that the portraits of female and male are alternated, with serial numbers on the front and signatures on the back, ie $5 Queen Elizabeth the ll/Parliament House, $10 AB Banjo Patterson/Mary Gilmore, $20 John Flynn/Mary Reibey, $50 Edith Cowan/David Unaipon, $100 Nellie Melba/John Monash and $5 Federation Henry Parkes/Catherine Helen Spence. Of course only the normal $5 note has one portrait on the front and none on the back.
.... Also did you know that .... The following were some of the names proposed for the new Australian currency back in the 60s when it was converting from Pound Sterling to Decimal - Boomer, the Digger, the Dinkum, the Emu, the Kanga, the Ming, Oz, the Quid, the Roo and Royal. Fortunately, the Dollar won the battle! Just like New Zealand, they too have proposed few other names for their currency, like the fern, kiwi, zeal before they too accepted dollar on 10.07.1967.
Update: The new $50 has been revealed on 15.02.2018 and will be issued in October 2018. It is believed that the $50 is released first before the $20 is due to current counterfeiting of the $50 circulating in the economy. It is expected that the new $20 will be released in 2019 and the $100 in 2020.
25 September 2013
Australia 1988 Ten Dollars Commemorative Block 4-Uncut
Commemoration of the 200 years since the first British settlement in Australia (1788-1988).
Ten Dollars Block of 4
Some interesting facts here about this uncut sheets. Together with the 4-uncut strip, half and full sheets, a total of 4,500 sheets were printed. Out of this, a total of 3,600 pieces (80% - sheets, blocks and strips) were sold at tender and bought by a dealer from Sydney. The remaining 900 pieces (20%) were retained by the bank. Of the 900 pieces, a total of 531 sheets, blocks and strips were then sold to senior bank staff at a price of $50 (127 x blocks or 316 x strips), $150 for half sheet (x 44) and $300 for full sheet (x 44). These uncut sheets were released in January 1989, one year after the circulating notes were released. There are no shortage in supply for these sheets judging by the amount of availability in the market, especially for the 4-Uncuts and the half sheets.
Footnote: once again, I need a larger scanner to fit in the uncut sheet.